I had a couple run-ins with "the Germans" these past couple days. Usually, leaving my little campus bubble (which I do frequently, thank you very much) doesn't result in too much pain or suffering. But yesterday I received a notice telling me I had to go pick up my package at some place called the "Zollant". I was more concerned about getting to the Zollant than what is was, so I looked up the address on google maps, figured out which bus I needed to take, and headed out. I thought I was incredibly lucky because I wouldn't have to change buses at any point.
So I get off at my designated bus stop, Industriehafen, and proceed to look for the building. This building had to be the most nondescript public office ever. Once I figured out that it was the building I wanted I went inside handed them my package slip and thought that would be that.
And that is when I discovered what Zollant means. It's a customs office. And the customs officer proceeded to interrogate me for a good ten minutes.
Customs officer: Who's the package from?
Me: My mother
CO: Why's she sending you a package?
Me: What?
CO: Is it a gift?
Me: Sure...
CO: What's in the package?
Me: I really don't know *look down at the declaration form my mom sent* Um, some shoes...
CO: New shoes?
Me: ...my shoes.
CO: So is it a gift?
Me: Yes?
At this point he leave to go get my package, he comes back and hands me a box cutter.
CO: Is it private?
Me: What?
CO: Can you open it?
Me: Sure...(Was saying no really an option)
I open it, he looks inside for like 5 seconds and then his superior walks by
CO: It's a gift, can I let her have it?
Superior: *looks at the box, looks at me, shrugs and walks off*
CO: It's okay, you can take it.
Me: ...Thanks?
Then today, the bus driver called me out on the fact that I didn't present ID with my bus pass. It's a stupid rule, because they don't look closely enough to see the name of the bus pass or ID and most bus drivers don't care. On the way home, I decided not to push my luck and presented my driver's license with my bus pass. Good thing too, because it was the same bus driver and he recognized me. "At least you learn fast" Thanks, bus driver dude.
Anyway, classes start next week so I should get on with picking those.
Wednesday, October 14, 2009
Oh, those crazy Germans
Posted by
Ariana
at
3:59 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh silly Germans and there silly rules! Hope you got some good classes! :)
~Maggie M.
Hey GGF - ABF here! Pork chops and ordering in spanish - you are the epatomb of int'l diversity & gastronomy! stay dry, enjoy your classes, have fun and be safe! Love, ABF
Post a Comment