So, I finally arrived in Germany...and started a blog. I suppose the old adage is true, location doesn't change who we are and I am, at heart, a procrastinator.
To be fair, even though I arrived on Saturday, I've had internet access for less than an hour. German proxy servers and Macbooks do not mix.
So, highlights since Friday:
- The international terminal at O'Hare has NOTHING, and of course you have to arrive even earlier.
- Flight to Amsterdam arrived about a half hour earlier than expected, which gave me a nice 7 hour layover instead of 6 and a half.
- Amsterdam airport is nice, but there is NOWHERE to plug in a laptop. And internet costs 3 Euro for 15 minutes. Also, the airport is huge!
- Speaking of the Amsterdam airport, after arriving from your international flight, you will have to pass through passport control and then through security. If you attempt to keep your passport with you, and it is one of the new electronic ones, it will set off the metal detector, Dutch TSA will snatch it from your hands and put it through the x-ray machine and then frisk you. Part of the frisking process will involve putting their hands in the waistband of your pants.
- I was picked up in Hamburg by a Flensburg student who works at the international office. She had her parents with her because they were returning from vacation. They were very nice, but it was awkward.
Since then, I've been hanging out in Flensburg, getting to know the town and the other international students, everyone I've met thus far has been great. Flensburg is beautiful. Pictures will follow soon!
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
A Humble Beginning
Posted by
Ariana
at
2:22 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment